Browse Mobile Public Notaries By Metropolitan Area in Iowa
dfBecome an Iowa Notary Public
An Iowa Notary Public is a person appointed and commissioned by the Secretary of State in Iowa to perform notarial acts. As an Iowa Notary Public applicant, you are required to read the notary acts of the Iowa Code Chapter 9E.
The requirements for prospective Iowa notaries public are as follows:
- At least 18 years of age
- A legal resident of Iowa; if employed in Iowa, you should be a resident from a bordering state
- Never been convicted of felony
- Able to read and write English
Steps to become an Iowa Notary Public
1. Fill out and complete the application form for appointment as notary public.
2. Pay a filing fee of $30.00 via check payable to "Secretary of State". If you are a member of the general assembly (government employee), you are exempted in paying the filing fee.
3. Mail the completed application form together with the filing fee to:
Secretary of State
Notary Public Clerk
Lucas Building, 1st Floor
Des Moines, IA 50319
4. If approved by the Secretary of State, you will receive a certificate of commission.
Term of Office
Notaries public living in Iowa are given by the Secretary of State a term of three (3) years in office, while non-residents are given a one (1) year term. The term for notaries who are members of the general assembly corresponds to their term of office in the government.
Iowa Notary Fees
As an Iowa Notary Public, there are no set fees in doing notarial services; you may charge a reasonable fee for your services.
No set fee
No set fee
Oaths & Affirmations
No set fee
$5.00 + $1.00 per page
$1.00 per page
Find a Notary in Iowa
The Iowa Secretary of State has provided an online notary search page for looking up commissioned notaries public. You can also use FindNotary in finding a notary in Iowa. We have the largest directory for notary public, mobile notaries, and notary services for Iowa and the entire United States.
- Iowa Notary Public Services
- Iowa Notary Classes, Training, and Handbooks
- Iowa Notary Seals and Supplies
For more information on how to become an Iowa Notary, visit the Iowa Notary Public website at http://sos.iowa.gov/notaries/about.html. You can also contact them at (515) 281-5204, or visit their office at First Floor, Lucas Building, 321 E. 12th St., Des Moines, IA 50319.