Browse Mobile Public Notaries By Metropolitan Area in Montana
Become a Montana Notary Public
Notaries public in the State of Montana are commissioned by the Montana Secretary of State. If you are a first time notary applicant, you are required to read the Montana Notary Handbook.
Requirements to become a notary public in Montana:
- At least 18 years old
- A legal Montana resident for at least 30 days before the application
- No major conviction
Steps to become a Montana Notary Public:
1. Take the certified notary training course.
2. Get a surety bond in the sum of $10,000 from a surety or insurance company.
3. Complete the notary application form. Read and follow the instructions carefully.
4. After receiving your bond, check the following:
a. Your name and signature on the application form and bond should be exactly the same.
b. The city and county on the bond is the address where you live, not where your work.
c. Sign the bond on the "Principal" line.
d. The bond's effectivity date should be 30 days before or after your application will be received in the Secretary of State's office.
5. Prepare a $25 filing fee via check or money order.
6. Submit all the required documents and fee to:
Secretary of State
PO Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801
7. Wait for your commission certificate to be mailed by the Secretary of State's office within ten days to two weeks.
Term of Office
Each notary public in the State of Montana are given a total term of four (4) years in office.
Montana Notary Fees
As a notary public in Montana, these are the fees for notarial services and other notarial acts:
Oaths & Affirmations
No Official Price
$5.00 for initial signature, $1.00 for each additional signature
$3.50 per page
$3.50 per page
Find a Notary in Montana
- Montana Notary Public Services
- Montana Notary Public Bond
- Montana Notary Classes, Training, and Handbooks
- Montana Notary Seals and Supplies
For more information on how to become a Montana Notary, visit the Montana Notary Public website at http://www.sos.mt.gov/Notary/index.asp. You can also contact them at (406) 444-5379, or visit their office at 1236 6th Avenue, Helena, Montana 59601.