Browse Mobile Public Notaries By Metropolitan Area in New York
Become a New York Notary Public
New York Notaries Public are appointed and commissioned by the Secretary of State in New York. For first time applicants, it is important that you review first the New York Notary Public Law.
Requirements to become a notary public in New York:
- At least 18 years of age
- A legal resident or an employee in the State of New York
- Never been convicted of felony
Steps to become a New York Notary Public:
1. Take the New York Notary Exam. The schedules of the exam are updated in January and July of each year. Be sure to check out the New York Notary Public website for the schedules. The examination fee is $15 via check or money order made payable to "Department of State".
2. Once you passed the notary exam, the Secretary of State's Office will mail the notary public application to you. Complete the notary application form. Read and follow the instructions carefully.
3. Prepare a $60 fee via check made payable to "Division of Licensing Services".
4. Submit the completed application, notary exam "pass slip", and fee, to:
NYS Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
P.O. Box 22001
Albany, NY 12201-2001
5. Once your application is approved, the Secretary of State's Office will send your Commission Card.
Term of Office
A commission term of four (4) years is given to each appointed notary public in New York.
New York Notary Fees
As a notary public in New York, these are the fees for notarial services and other notarial acts:
$2.00 each plus $2.00 for each sworn witness
Not an allowed Notary act
Oaths & Affirmations
$2.00 + $2.00 for each sworn witness
75 cents plus 10 cents for each notice
Safe Deposit Openings
There is no set fee. But notaries are advised to charge a reasonable price for such acts and to explain their fee structure to the client ahead of time.
Find a Notary in New York
- New York Notary Public Services
- New York Notary Classes, Training, and Handbooks
- New York Notary Seals and Supplies
For more information on how to become a New York Notary, visit the New York Notary Public website at http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/notary/notary.html. You can also contact them at (518) 474-4429, or visit their office at 123 William St., 19th Fl., New York, New York 10038.