Become a North Dakota Notary Public
The North Dakota Department of Secretary is the one who appoints notaries public in the State of North Dakota. For first time notary public applicants, you are required to familiarize the North Dakota State Law and the Duties of a Notary Public.
Requirements to become a notary public in North Dakota:
- At least 18 years old
- A legal resident or residing in a county bordering the State of North Dakota
- Able to speak, read, and write English
- Never been convicted of felony or any crime involving fraud, dishonesty, or deceit
Steps to become a North Dakota Notary Public:
1. Complete the Notary Application Form. Read and follow the instructions carefully.
2. Obtain a surety bond in the amount of $7,500.
3. Prepare a filing fee of $36.00 made payable to "Secretary of State".
4. If you reside in a county bordering North Dakota, you are required to fill out the Appointment of Agent Form.
5. Submit all the required documents and fee to:
Secretary of State
State of North Dakota
600 E Boulevard Ave Dept 108
Bismarck ND 58505-0500
6. If all the documents are complete and correct, a certificate of authorization will be issued to you. The letter allows you to obtain a notary seal/stamp from a vendor of your choice.
7. Affix your notary seal/stamp to the authorization letter and return it to the Secretary of State's Office.
8. Once the certificate is approved, an official notary commission will be issued to you by the Secretary of State.
Term of Office
Each notary public in North Dakota has a commission term of six (6) years.
North Dakota Notary Fees
As a notary public in North Dakota, these are the fees for notarial services and other notarial acts:
Oaths & Affirmations
Find a Notary in North Dakota
- North Dakota Notary Public Services
- North Dakota Notary Public Bond
- North Dakota Notary Classes, Training, and Handbooks
- North Dakota Notary Seals and Supplies
For more information on how to become a North Dakota Notary, visit the North Dakota Notary Public website at http://www.nd.gov/sos/notaryserv/. You can also contact them at (701) 328-2900, or visit their office at 600 E Boulevard Ave., Dept. 108, 1st Floor, Bismarck, North Dakota 58505.