Browse Mobile Public Notaries By Metropolitan Area in South Dakota
Become a South Dakota Notary Public
Your journey to becoming a notary public in South Dakota starts with the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State's office is responsible for the appointment of notaries public in South Dakota. As a first time candidate, it is required that you read the South Dakota Notary Public Handbook to fully understand the powers and responsibilities of a notary public.
Requirements to become a notary public in South Dakota:
- At least 18 years old
- A South Dakota resident
- Able to speak, read, and write English
- No major convictions
Steps to become a South Dakota Notary Public:
1. Complete the Notary Public Application Form. Read and follow the instructions carefully.
2. Obtain a notary seal that contains your name and the words "Notary Public", and "South Dakota". Affix your seal on the application form.
3. Get a surety bond in the amount of $5,000 from a surety or insurance company.
4. Attached a $30.00 filing fee via check made payable to "Secretary of State".
5. Submit all the required documents and the filing fee to:
Secretary of State
500 East Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501
6. Once the Secretary of State's Office approves your application, you will then receive a Notary Commission Certificate.
Term of Office
A South Dakota notary public is commissioned by the Secretary of State for a total term of six (6) years.
South Dakota Notary Fees
As a notary public in South Dakota, these are your fees for notarial services and other notarial acts:
There is no charge allowed for this service.
Find a Notary in South Dakota
A notary database has been provided by the South Dakota Secretary of State for searching active notaries public. As an alternative, FindNotary offers a much easier way to find a notary in South Dakota. We have the largest directory for notary public, mobile notaries, and notary services for South Dakota and the entire United States.
- South Dakota Notary Public Services
- South Dakota Notary Public Bond
- South Dakota Notary Classes, Training, and Handbooks
- South Dakota Notary Seals and Supplies
For more information on how to become a South Dakota Notary, visit the South Dakota Notary Public website at http://sdsos.gov/content/viewcontent.aspx?cat=adminservices&pg=/adminservices/notaries.sht. You can also contact them at (605) 773-3537, or visit their office at 500 East Capitol Avenue, Pierre, South Dakota 57501.