Browse Mobile Public Notaries By Metropolitan Area in Texas
Become a Texas Notary Public
The Texas Secretary of State appoints and commissions notaries public in the State of Texas. First time notary public candidates are recommended to read the Texas Notary Public Educational Information page to understand the duties and responsibilities of a notary public.
The requirements to become a notary public in Texas are outlined below:
- At least 18 years old
- A Texas resident
- Able to speak, read, and write English
- Never been convicted of a major crime
Steps to become a Texas Notary Public:
1. Secure a surety bond in the amount of $10,000 from a surety or insurance company.
2. Complete the Application for Appointment as Texas Notary Public Form. Read and follow the instructions carefully.
3. Prepare a filing fee of $21.00 via check or money order made payable to "Secretary of State".
4. Submit all the required documents and fee to:
Secretary of State
Notary Public Unit
P.O. Box 13375
Austin, TX 78711-3375
5. Once your application is approved, the Secretary of State's Office will issue your notary commission.
Term of Office
Commissions for Texas Notaries Public expire four (4) years from the date of issuance.
Texas Notary Fees
As a notary public in Texas, these are your fees for notarial services and other notarial acts:
Taking acknowledgments or proofs:
$6.00 for the 1st signature & $1 for each additional signature
$4.00 + $1.00 for each notice of Protest
Certificates & Seals to a Protest
Administering an oath or affirmation
Swearing a witness for a deposition
Taking a deposition for a witness
$.50 per 100 words
Certifying a photocopy
Providing an uncertified copy from an entry to a notary public's record book
$.50 per page
Find a Notary in Texas
A notary public search page has been provided by the Texas Secretary of State for looking up notaries public. FindNotary offers a much easier way of finding a notary in Texas. We have the largest directory for notary public, mobile notaries, and notary services for Texas and the entire United States.
- Texas Notary Public Services
- Texas Notary Public Bond
- Texas Notary Classes, Training, and Handbooks
- Texas Notary Seals and Supplies
For more information on how to become a Texas Notary, visit the Texas Notary Public website at http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/notary-public.shtml. You can also contact them at (512) 463-5705, or visit their office at 1019 Brazos, Austin, Texas 78701.